Wizard World Chicago held a special panel on the upcoming Dark Knight movie tonight. Panel members included Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, director Chris Nolan, screenwriters Jonah Nolan and David Goyer, and DC Comics publisher Paul Levitz.
Bale spoke of his development of the Batman character as a beast, refering to the influences exerted by Batman Year 1. This movie is more focused on Batman's development as a character than Batman Begins. Chris Nolan indicated that Rachel Dawes, played by Maggie Gyllenhaal, will have an integral role.
Development of the Joker's character followed dinner conversations between Jonah Nolan and Paul Levitz. The characterization was supported by the first two stories featuring the Joker, shared by David Goyer and Chris Nolan after development of the movie had begun.
Paul Levitz called Gary Oldman the Commissioner during the panel, stirring rumors abound that Oldman may play the part during the Dark Knight.
Footage shown during the panel features a fight between Batman and the Joker. During the fight, Batman flips the Joker backwards on a table and smashes the Joker's face in white tiles reminiscent of Arkham. Of course, the Joker is laughing though it all.
The audience got to watch footage from the movie one time. Here is a re-cap of what was shown (not necessarily in order):
- A conversation between Alfred and Bruce from the teaser trailer that hit the net a few weeks ago
- Bruce Wayne grabbing a stick and hitting a guy over the head
- Batman on the Batpod
- Gordon in Swat Gear
- Joker firing a Tommy Gun
- Attack with an axe on the Bat Symbol on top of Police HQ
- Harvey with a silver revolver while sitting in a limosine
- A rear shot of a guy with a scarred head walking into a bar and ordering a shot. The Bartender, looking terrified, says, "Harvey Dent, I thought you were dead."
- The Joker behind bars
T-shirts with the bat symbol were handed out during the day. When you shine a black light on the shirt, "hahaha" appears all over it.