Vince McMahons Talks About Steve Austin Leaving!
Reported by Outsiders - 01:30 AM 2004.06.02
Vince McMahon addressed the Steve Austin situation on "Off The Record" last night. The following is a summary of his comments regarding Steve Austin:
- Vince McMahon said that Austin was behind his decision to leave WWE. Austin knows he's not at the level he once was, but doesn't like to think that way or accept that he can't be great forever. He also said that Austin does have the rights to the "Steve Austin" name, but not Stone Cold. That was another issue they discussed prior to Austin's leave.
- Despite rumors, The Rock does not own his name, but just has a license from WWE to use it in Hollywood.
- While Vince can't deny that Austin was his biggest moneymaker ever, he does feel that many people are responsible for Steve's success. He feels that even Austin would agree.
- Vince said that fans do not want the current Steve Austin in WWE. The current Steve Austin has physical limitations, one of the reasons he's not presently on the roster. Vince did say that he gave Austin a "tremendous" offer, but it was rejected. WWE has forgiven him from walking out in the past, even though it hurt the company, and the door is always open for him to return.
- Vince doesn't feel Austin can be as successful as The Rock in Hollywood.
- Vince did not care for Austin's attorney - usually, he prefers dealing with the talent directly. He doesn't feel attorneys who know nothing about pro wrestling should be making demands.
Credit Source: "Off The Record"