Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is the latest DC Comics-based animated feature from Warner Home Video. The movie is based on the 2003 DC Comic book title by the same name and written by Jeph Loeb with art by Ed McGuinness.
In this adaptation, Lex Luthor has become President of the United States and now faces a crisis, a huge asteroid made of Kryptonite is heading towards Earth. Still obsessed with taking down his arch-enemy Superman, Luthor frames the man of steel with murder and places a million dollar bounty for his capture. The lure of this massive reward brings out heroes and villains alike from the DC Universe to try and bring him down. With the aid of Batman, the two heroes must fight off everyone trying to cash in on Luthor’s reward while also coming up with a way to save Earth from the approaching asteroid.
Fans of the Justice League Unlimited animated series will be happy to hear the return of voice actors Tim Daly (Superman), Kevin Conroy (Batman) and Clancy Brown (Lex Luthor) to this feature. This movie has the feel of that JLU series with the most noticeable difference being a different animation style which mirrors that of Ed McGuinness’ work on the comic book.
The movie features a lot of fight scenes with different villains which is always cool to see - although this can be a drawback as well since some major hitters (villains like Solomon Grundy, Gorilla Grodd, Bane and Mongul) are vanquished a little too easily.
The overall story stays fairly true to Jeph Loeb’s original although fans will notice a few obvious changes. If you were a fan of the JLU cartoon or the Superman/Batman comic book, I think you will want to check this movie out.
The Blu-ray 2 disc version has a number of special features such as:
- The dynamics of the evolving relationship between two classic super heroes in a test of minds: Superman and Batman
- Dinner with DCU and special guest Kevin Conroy – extended version: The Voice of Batman shares a meal and talks with a DC Universe creative team
- Exclusive sneak peek at DC Universe’s upcoming Justice League Crisis on Two Earths which will be the next DC animated feature released by Warner Bros. in Spring 2010.
- Behind the scenes of Blackest Night, the epic DC Comics Super Hero event in which the dead shall rise
- Four Bruce Timm favorite Batman/Superman team up episodes from the JLU and Superman/Batman animated series’.
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies will be released on DVD and Blu-ray on Tuesday September 29, 2009.